Friday, July 15, 2011

Music Friday: "Swimmer" & "When You Need a Train It Never Comes"

In a post on Twangville recently, one of the authors of the blog offers his top ten albums of the spring. I was pleased to see Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit's Here We Rest sitting atop the list, but I was disappointed that Amanda Shires' Carrying Lightning wasn't in the ranking.

So today here at Planned Ob, I'm once again featuring Amanda Shires in a Music Friday post. I did so a few months ago, but I thought I'd go ahead and share more of her goodness, in particular two songs from the new album that came out in May.

In the previous Music Friday post, the videos showed off her fiddle work.

The first song today, "Swimmer," features her playing the ukulele, her whistling skills, and her fine voice.



And the next video showcases the dark lyrics of "When You Need a Train It Never Comes" along with filmmaking that is in her face.

3 comments:

emmylunatic said...

It's worth some effort to see Amanda live, many shows you get a great twofer as she's joined by Rod Picott who has a great album out now - Welding Burns.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to check out both Welding Burns and a show if she comes close to my area.

fern said...

remarkable performances