Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Cauliflower-Potato Salad

Mrs. Nasty discovered a recipe that is a low calorie version of potato salad using cauliflower in place of potatoes.

I tried a similar recipe a while back that uses roasted cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes to make mashed cauliflower. It was pretty good. So I figured what the heck, but I wanted to use a few potatoes, which would let me dig in the dirt.

I had the pleasure of using red potatoes, shallots, parsley, and chives from my garden. The recipe below is the way I made it today.

Mrs. Nasty likes her potato salad plain or classic or Spartan (whichever descriptor you might prefer). I like mine with mustard and some notches kicked up. Our differing views on potato salad have been a point of contention in our relationship.

But here are the ingredients:
1 full head of cauliflower, chopped and steamed
4 medium sized red potatoes, boiled and cut up
8 hard-boiled eggs, yolks removed, and chopped
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped finely
2 shallots, chopped finely
Large smidge of chives, chopped finely
Small smidge of parsley, chopped finely
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of thyme
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
However many of dollops of mayonnaise you like for your tater salad

If you want to strip down the recipe to make it Mrs. Nasty style, cut down the amount of chives and don't use parsley, paprika, garlic powder, and thyme.

When I make it again, I'm adding stone ground or dijon mustard, a few egg yolks, and some doses of Sriracha into the mix for my portion.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful vegetarian option. I love to cook with dijon mustard! One of my favorites? Dijon mustard chicken. Olive oil is one of the healthiest choices for saute. Love the delicious simpleness of the mustard paired with sauces or dressings. Non-Fat sour cream,a little sea salt, and a little white wine! Delicious. I like to make the pieces bite size, it's easier to cook and healthier to make sure the proportions are right. I love to watch movies while I cook. Right Now there's a 3 month Free BlockBuster subscription available to DISH Network customersfor more information travel over to http://bit.ly/jP1NIT. Have questions? Just chat with one of our many friendly agents online now. I work at Dish Network and love to help our customers.

Babe Runner said...

I like my potato salad kicked-up too (love the sriracha), but I go very minimal on the mayo -- the thinnest possible sheen. I hate store-bought potato salads that are more white glop than spuds. And I will now conclude this comment without trying to sell you anything.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I also try to keep it minimalist on the mayo, Babe.

Reading Gamer said...

I must cast my vote: mustard-based potato salads are wholly comprised of sunshine, happiness, and winning. Mayo bases, on the other hand, are the essences of thoughts dreaded by 6-year olds after watching horror movies, or of thoughts dreaded by intelligent people after watching a few seconds of Jersey Shore.

fern said...

Like Babe, I like mine without spam.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

And actually, the non-mustard potato salad ain't bad at all.