Friday, July 22, 2011

Music Friday: "Rust Belt Fields" & "Welding Burns"

Well, thanks to emmylunatic for recommending Rod Picott's Welding Burns. It's a damn fine album.

For today's post I'm featuring Picott even though Shires is in the first video.

The first song on Welding Burns got me hooked. It's called "Rust Belt Fields," and the lyrics describe economic desolation:

But they figured it out,
shipped the elbow grease
down to Mexico, off to the Chinese.

I learned a little something 'bout how things are.
No one remembers your name for just working hard.





The second song on the album is "Welding Burns" in which the persona starts by talking about his father who was a welder, but most of the lyrics comment on his own state of stasis.

I swore I wasn't gonna stay here.
I used to dream a lot.
Now I can't remember what it was I was dreaming of.

Some things you're born to,
some things you gotta learn:
broken homes, wrecked cars, scars, and welding burns.

And then later, it goes like this:
Some things you're born to,
some things you better learn:
broken dreams, wrecked cars, broken bones, and welding burns.


No comments: