Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Salsa

After working on a revision most of the morning and part of the early afternoon, I got a little scatterbrained (shout-out to G) and needed to do something different.

The prescription? It's an old standby--salsa I've made many times.

Here are the ingredients:
1 large can of whole tomatoes
4 Roma tomatoes
2 bunches of green onions, chopped thinly
2 bell peppers, chopped thinly
4 cloves of garlic, diced
1 Anaheim pepper, membrane removed and diced
1 Serrano del Sol, membrane removed and diced
1 Cayenne pepper, membrane removed and diced
Healthy bunch of fresh cilantro, just the leaves, and chopped into small pieces
Juice of one lime
Smidge of Penzey's Salsa Seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

In the food processor, I chopped up the whole tomatoes from the can with the fresh plum tomatoes after I had put them in hot water to remove the skins. Then I added in the other ingredients after having a chop-fest on the cutting board.

I have the three different kinds of hot peppers from the bounty of the garden last summer, so I had to thaw them. Since I didn't want the salsa too hot, I removed the membranes inside the peppers that house the capsaicin.

No comments: