Sunday, July 10, 2011

Smooth Like Gravel


It seemed like a fun idea. It really did.

The kids and I were out riding our bikes on our street, a cul-de-sac, early Saturday afternoon, and Hannah had this idea that we'd time how long it took each of us to go to the end of the street and back to our driveway.

I rode my Schwinn cruiser at a good pace up the street, but I walked it back as I bled over it.

As I was turning my way around the circle at the end of the drive, I wiped out. The tires slid on some very small loose gravel, and I fell on my left side, scraping my left knee a little but mainly landing hard and sliding a bit on left forearm and left shoulder. That hurt.

I have some road rash, and a little piece of gravel cut into the area right above my left elbow and left an ugly gash.

When I got back, people were obviously concerned. As Mrs. Nasty fought throwing up from time to time, she acted as nurse by using lots of hydrogen peroxide, Neosporin, and bandages. The picture above is from today since I doubt my readers really want to see what it looked like before--bloody band-aids

I'm glad I'm the one who got hurt. I'd rather have my middle-aged forearm get scarred rather than my kids getting hurt.

Or it's more probable they wouldn't have taken the turn as fast as I did. Since they're 7 and 4, they're more wary of the speed of bicycles. I, in contrast, was trying to relive how I tooled around on my bike when I was a kid.

Nostalgia, it's fun, but sometimes it also hurts.

6 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Ouch, my friend. Hope it heals quickly.

It does seem to give you some weit when you warn the kids to slow down. :)

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yep, it's a good personal experience to use when applicable.

Hannah's response as I sauntered down the driveway was, "Daddy, you're BLEEDING!!!"

Yes, dear, yes I am.

Babe Runner said...

Nostalgia always hurts. The root "algia" has to do with illness. You can't go home again, certainly not on a fast bike.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Well played, Babe.

travolta said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo




sorry, couldn't help it...

fern said...

Last week I took a fall--I'm not exactly sure how, but gravel may have been involved--and I got a much less impressive scrape. My toenail polish also took damage. As a kid, I always had a skinned knee, but it seems like a bigger deal once you get out of the habit. Hope Hannah and Diana have gotten over the trauma, and you too, of course.