Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Didn't Think It Would Happen This Quickly

Wow. I've been doing all kinds of things today, and I just discovered that Texas A&M will be leaving the Big12.

So I'm thinking the presidents of the SEC gave Commissioner Slive the okay to add the Aggies at their last meeting, huh?

While I'm perfectly fine with the Southeastern Conference exactly the way it is, adding A&M provides the Texas market, a recruiting hotbed, and a top-flight research institution to the conference.

But thirteen teams? That ain't right. I think the SEC adds at least one more university or possibly three to move to 14 or 16 team conference.

As I've written about before, possibly ad nauseam, I'm for adding Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech. Doing so just makes sense from a regional standpoint, especially since Georgia Tech is a founding member of the SEC.

You place A&M and one of the other three in the West, or you put A&M there and shift Kentucky or Tennessee or Vanderbilt to the West and place the other three in the East.  Both Clemson and Georgia Tech are natural Eastern SEC-like schools since they have heated rivalries with the Gamecocks and Bulldogs.

There's going to be all kinds of crazy speculation out there about what other universities the SEC might add, but I know one thing for sure. I sure would hate to be the commissioner of the Big "12."

No comments: