Friday, August 5, 2011

Music Friday: "Moonshiner"

I recently had some wiring fixed in my car since my dashboard lights wouldn't go on when I turned my lights on at night.

For years though, my CD player hasn't worked for whatever reason, and I'm too cheap/frugal to take a car into the shop to get a CD player fixed since the radio works just fine even though the choices for radio stations in my neck of the woods are not good--not good at all. After the car's electrical issues were fixed, Mrs. Nasty mentioned that maybe the CD player will work now.

I investigated that hypothesis.

Cheers to you Mrs. Nasty for making that suggestion. It works.

So the kids have had the pleasure of listening to my old CDs when we drive around. They seem to be okay with it. I haven't fielded any complaints yet. I also suspect Quinn is up for something different than what he has had to put up with lately. Last night at the dinner table, he made a clear demand about music aimed directly at his sister: "No more singing Taylor Swift songs in the house."

That didn't go over well, but I admire his gumption.

So here's a song that was playing in my car yesterday--not a song about love or high school crushes. It's written from the point of view of guy who makes moonshine, a traditional song.

It's from the March 16-20 1992 album that was produced by Peter Buck of R.E.M. It's the all acoustic album in Uncle Tupelo's discography.

I have a number of favorite Uncle Tupelo songs, which are mostly Jay Farrar penned ones, and "Moonshiner" has to be in the top five of my favorites. If you're an Uncle Tupelo fan and if you're inclined to list some of your favorite songs of the band, post a comment. I'd enjoy seeing them.


2 comments:

Fozzie said...

Best version of Moonshiner I've heard. Jay's forlorn voice nails it.

Still Be Around
Life Worth Livin
Whiskey Bottle
Shaky Ground
Chickamauga

It still burns me that Wilco and Jeff Tweedy get fawned over constantly, but Jay Farrar is usually ignored. Tweedy should barely get credit for being in that bad considering that Farrar wrote most of the songs.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yeh, as you know, I also don't get the critical acclaim that Wilco garners. They're okay, but they're no Farrar/Son Volt.

Uncle Tupelo was Farrar's band, but I do like "Screen Door," "Gun," "Acuff-Rose," and "The Long Cut."

As for Farrar songs, I'm going with "Still Be Around," "Outdone," "Looking For a Way Out," "Punch Drunk," "Grindstone," "Coalminers," "Atomic Power," and "Slate."

I want "Out of the Picture" by Son Volt played at my funeral. Just fyi.

And when I was listening to Trace today, I thought about how Mrs. Nasty and I should have danced to "Mystifies Me" at our wedding.