Thursday, August 11, 2011

Suspicion of Berryism

I got some fresh blackberries from the local farmer's market the other day. I had to do this because for whatever reason, my dog got a taste for blackberries this summer, and she ate all of them off my two bushes. There went a harvest of purple goodness, you damn dog.

Anyway, so I got blackberries, added sugar, and it turned into a fine concoction (if I wanted ape food writing, I'd call it a "compote") for slathering over vanilla ice cream. Once you swirl the blackberry juices around with the ice cream, you have blackberry ice cream.

But I got to thinking, why haven't I ever see blackberry ice cream in stores. What's the deal here?

Is it because those berries are ... not the right color?

Think about it, do you see blackberry or blueberry ice cream on a regular basis?

And talking from personal experience, blackberry ice cream is excellent.

For God's sake, what do the ice creamery corporate giants have against blackberries and blueberries? They're mixing raspberry in ice cream willy nilly, and, hell, strawberry is a common occurrence among ice cream flavors in the freezer sections of most grocery stores and megamarts.

Why all the love for the red-hued berries and none for those of the blueish hue? What gives, ice cream makers!?!

Sure, I've searched the InterWeb about blackberry ice cream recipes and, yes, I do have my own ice cream maker that my dad gave to me, the same ice cream maker he used when I was a kid.

But I'm looking for a convenient, ready-to-eat offering of blackberry (my preference) or blueberry (Mrs. Nasty's preference) ice cream.

I want justice.

2 comments:

Fern said...

Now that the cicadas are less plentiful, Paul's dog eats Rose of Sharon blossoms--seems to like the purple ones. Odd. But it's not like we were going to eat them, so it's not really a problem.

I feel like I've had or seen blackberry ripple ice cream, but I couldn't say when or where. Maybe the seeds are an issue for manufacturers?

We've been doing a lot of compote-ing over at our house. With a microwave, a couple of peaches, and a little bit of sugar, I can have the best part of peach pie. If we have 'em, we throw in a few raspberries or blackberries. Blueberry compote is pretty darned good too, and the whole process satisfies my need to use up fresh fruit that's no longer at its peak. So it's satisfying in every way.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Mrs. Nasty tried a blueberry concrete at Ted Drewe's on Friday, and she said she liked blackberry as a flavoring better.

Blackberries are very similar to raspberries in structure, so I doubt that's the issue.

I'm hoping there are still good Illinoi peaches available at the Farmers Market on Wed, but then again, the apple orchard down 130 should be ready to supply sweet tooths.