Friday, August 19, 2011

Music Friday: "Even Flow," "Love Boat Captain," & "Just Breathe"

This morning I've been listening to the Backspacer album by Pearl Jam, and when I think about it, I've only featured Pearl Jam once on a Music Friday. That was the acerbic "Do the Evolution."

The forthcoming details date me, but I remember the first time I heard about Pearl Jam was maybe a few days after the release of Ten. My next door neighbor in Kirksville, who was also a bandmate of my buddy who lived with me at the "Brewery," leant me the cassette of Ten and said that he really liked the band.

I listened to it and was hooked.

Ten is one hell of a debut album, and I've always liked Pearl Jam more than Nirvana.

And God, back in the days when Mtv played videos, they wore out that "Jeremy" video, didn't they? The unfortunate result is that "Jeremy" is a good song, but the overplay got me to not liking it so much, even to this day.

So instead of "Jeremy" (he's "spoken" many times), the first song today is "Even Flow" from Ten that gives viewers of taste of their early shows:





Next is another of my favorite Pearl Jam songs, "Love Boat Captain" from Riot Act.





And to round out the trifecta today, I'll leave you with "Just Breathe" from Backspacer. This video is from when they played on Austin City Limits.


2 comments:

Sara F. said...

Ten is really a fantastic album. It is still in rotation in my car today.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Hard to beat, for sure.