Friday, September 2, 2011

Music Friday: "Things About Coming My Way," "Cain't Be Satisfied," & "Matchbox Blues"

When I started actively listening to music, like many adolescents of my generation, I was drawn to hard rock, heavy metal, and classic rock. Listening to Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, bands that reformulated blues music or ripped off blue riffs and songs (depending on your perspective), led me to the Blues.

Long live the Blues.

Today I'm featuring Guy Davis, a traditional blues musician who puts out great stuff. All of the songs are covers, but he also writes his own tunes.

The first for today is "Things About Coming My Way."





Next is a cover of a Muddy Waters' song, but Davis plays it on banjo. Before the song, there's also a short commentary about the spelling of "cain't" while performing before royalty and the British.





And the trio closes with Blind Lemon Jefferson's "Matchbox Blues."


No comments: