Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Football Obsessions

I don't know what exactly got into Quinn recently, but the kid's obsessed with either watching football or throwing a football around the backyard.

We've been passing the football around the yard for quite some time--in fact, all summer--but his interest probably amped up when he discovered our old Playstation circa 1999 and the two college football games we have. We've played against each other from time to time over the last two weeks, with him not really understanding what he's doing and me selecting plays for him that will work since all he likes to do is push the X button. So mostly all he does is pass on offense, and the passes usually go to the tight end.

And now he's so interested in football that he's got me watching NFL pre-season games. We watched part of a replay of the Jets-Bengals exhibition game this evening on the NFL Network. I'm not all that crazy about the NFL since college football is far superior, but I'm willing to suffer through some games for the kid.

But all this has made me think about when I was younger. I was also obsessed with football. As a result, books about the history of the NFL, its players, and the league's teams along with comic books were my gateway reading genres.

As always, I'm looking forward to the college football season, and it's only about a week and a half until Week 1. But now I'm interested how Quinn will take to football Saturdays, a tradition at the Nasty household. Hannah has always tolerated the watching of multiple games throughout the day with the Alabama game having utmost importance, but Quinn might appreciate the craziness more than she does.

There's a smattering of games to look forward to in Week 1. Alabama plays Kent State as a lead-in to their away game at Penn State in Week 2. However, here's an interesting trio of games in the first week:
  • BYU at Ole Miss
  • Boise State vs. Georgia in Atlanta
  • Oregon vs. LSU in Dallas
As for the SEC, it'll be brutal once again within the conference. Before Knile Davis broke his ankle, I was leaning toward thinking that Arkansas wins the West with their excellent receiving corps and an improved defense, but now I don't know. They're still going to be tough as hell without Davis, so I think they win the West since I'm leery of picking the Tide and I fret about having a new quarterback (or two) commanding the offense.

I also think LSU has a solid shot of winning the West, but with possibly impending legal troubles ahead for their starting quarterback, who could get charged with second degree assault, it's hard to tell what's going to happen down there in Red Stick. Not a distraction you want before your first game versus Oregon.

And Mississippi State is going to be tough also.

As for the East, it's a three-team race: South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. If I had to place a bet in Vegas about who wins the East, I'd go with UGA because of their navigable schedule and lucrative odds since most people think the Gamecocks will win the East.

No comments: