Saturday, June 16, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

I've spent part of the last three days painting the trim and wood parts of the exterior of the Nasty home. Painting, and I've done a lot of it in the past dozen years or so, always takes longer than you think it's going to. The most uncomfortable part of the project is that my feet hurt. All that time going up, going down, and standing on a ladder kills your feet. My dogs are barking.

Before I started painting this morning, the neighbor across the street was having a big garage sale because they finally sold the house after they got the asking price to a reasonable level. I picked up some nice old tools--channel lock pliers from the 30s, skinny needle nose pliers that look just as old, and a sledgehammer. I don't know why I need a sledgehammer, but I got one now. I'm gonna be pounding some stuff, whatever that stuff may be, with force, clowns.

After I applied sunscreen before we went to the pool, my five-year old son had this comment as we backed out of the driveway: "You're really hairy, Daddy. You're like a BEAST." I am, son. And he's one of my favorite Marvel comic book characters. My son's comment also reminded me of a couple of my fraternity brothers who enjoyed calling me Teen Wolf. It could be time to do some "urban surfing."

I have been known, on occasion, to howl at the moon.

Because I've seen so many Disney Channel sit-coms, I'm thinking about writing a post that acerbically distills the fundamentals and themes that have to be in a Disney show.

Then again, I have to give the massive company credit for their new standards about food advertising to kids. There are lots of articles out there about the new standards, but here's one from Time. Kudos to Disney/ABC/etc.

As for the two recipes below -- Sweet Potato Salad and Serrano Infused Cucumber Soup -- I prefer the latter. I'll be making it again for sure, especially since summer is upon us.

No comments: