Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Basic Artichoke Pasta Salad

The spring fundraiser at my daughter's school had the kids selling magazine subscriptions, and there were some good deals. So I'm now subscribing to Rolling Stone at a dirt cheap price, and for the heck of it, I'm also getting Men's Fitness, which is more vapid and shallow than I remember. I used to pick up that slick magazine when I was on the academic job hunt in '02. On my way to or returning from an on-campus visit, I needed to read something that didn't require too much thinking, and Men's Fitness did the trick.

Mrs. Nasty got a bunch of magazines, and one of hers is part of the Rachael Ray ubiquity regime, Every Day with Rachael Ray. So I got this basic recipe from that magazine, but I've modified it -- Nasty style. 

Ingredients:
A box of tri-color rotini, cooked
1 jar of marinated artichokes
1 roasted red pepper, chopped into tiny pieces (I got mine from a jar)
half of a can of black olives, drained and chopped (use kalamata olives if you want to get fancy)
5 slices of hard salami, cut into tiny rectangles
Healthy dose of parmesan cheese, maybe a 1/2 to a full cup
Healthy dose of low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Smidge of dried thyme
Smidge of dried dill
Salt and pepper to taste

You cook the pasta, drain it, and then toss in the artichokes with the marinade from the jar. Then put in all of the other ingredients. 

Next time I make this, I'll probably used diced chicken breast instead of salami and maybe add some green olives and more artichokes. And I have fresh dill weed in the garden, so I might as well use that too. 

4 comments:

Babe Runner said...

Yum. Capers are also good, and sweet onion (Vidalia or Maui). You can also used canned/pouch tuna instead of salami or chicken, but only if you aren't worried about your mercury levels.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

If you use tuna, then maybe throw in some cilantro. I read on the InterWebs that fresh cilantro helps flush mercury out of your system. Haven't researched that supposition though.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I should have corrected you in my previous comment, Babe. Since it's based from a recipe from Rachael Ray, you should say "Yummo." Get with the program!

Babe Runner said...

No, no, no. And no again. I do not approve of "yummo." Not "BAM!" either, for that matter.

I did not know that about cilantro. Win-win: I love cilantro, and I don't love mercury!