Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Serrano Infused Cucumber Soup

Yeh, that's right. I used the word "infused." After all, I'm writing about food, so I might as well ape the food writing gimmicks out there. 

Anyway, about three years ago, I grew cucumbers in my garden. Those bastards never stopped growing. I ate so many cucumbers that summer that afterward the mere whiff of a cucumber slightly repulsed me. And forget about eating them. Vegetable non grata. I went on a cucumber sabbatical for about a year. They sickened me. 

Right now I'm okay with the cucumber, but I'm not growing them. Well, I tried to grow some pickling cucumbers from seed this season, and nothing happened. Nothing sprouted. Unrequited growth. 

So, on Wednesday I picked up a few cucumbers from the local farmers market and modified one of the cold cucumber soup recipes I used that summer except I added a little heat to play with the yogurt used in the dish.

Ingredients:
3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated to roughly 3-4 cups
2 cups of plain lowfat yogurt
A good squeeze of a slice of lemon
2 tablespoons of honey
1 Serrano pepper, membrane ripped out, and diced
Smidge of fresh dill 
Salt and pepper to taste

Once you've grated the cucumbers, put everything in a food processor and pulse till smooth. You may need to add some cold water to make it smooth. Store it in the fridge and eat cold. 

No comments: