Friday, June 8, 2012

Music Friday: "Stompin' at the Savoy," "April in Paris," "In the Mood," & "It Don't Mean a Thing"

Since today is my dad's birthday, I thought I'd present some music that he grew up listening to when he was a kid and during early adulthood. It's a Big Band Music Friday, folks. He's 85 today.

Here's Benny Goodman and his Orchestra with "Stompin' at the Savoy."





One of my favorite big bands is Count Basie and His Orchestra. Below is the often covered "April in Paris."





If you don't recognize the song by its title, listen and you'll know "In the Mood" by Glen Miller and His Orchestra.





And I'm ending with the Duke and "It Don't Mean a Thing."


6 comments:

fern said...

The good old days, when clarinet was king.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

One of my professors at Alabama played a mean jazz clarinet. It's an instrument that isn't being used enough in jazz nowadays.

Babe Runner said...

My father is 84 and also loves Big Band music. I grew up listening to this stuff, and I still like it -- it certainly stands the test of time, a lot better than most of the stuff out there now (and that statement makes ME sound like I'm 84 years old too).

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

A few years back, Roy Hargrove (one of the best players in jazz right, imo) put together a big band and released an album from the gathering called Emergence. I recommend it.

Babe Runner said...

Yes! I have some of Hargrove's Cuban-influenced stuff from a few years back, but didn't know he did the big band thing. Must check it out.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Christian McBride did a big band album too recently, but I haven't heard it. At first glance, reviews seem to be mixed.