Thursday, February 16, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

I'm sure this has been proposed before, but in order to make meetings more concise and to keep myself in shape, I propose that all meetings will no longer have chairs and tables. Instead, meetings will take place with the participants arranged in circles as they use treadmills, stairmasters, and eleptical machines.

I just finished reading a really interesting collection of poetry, Ardency: A Chronicle of the Amistad Rebels by Kevin Young. Young writes from multiple personas but mainly from the perspectives of the slaves of the Amistad who won their freedom and then went back to Africa. If you like poetry and history, this collection is for you. For me, poetry + history = win. 

I'd rather have someone disagree with me than ignore me. At least there's communication happening. 

Next week I leave for a conference in Florida, specifically in Orlando. The conference is being held at one of the many Disney Resorts. I don't care for Disney in general, which is challenging because I have two kids. My co-presenter at the conference also dislikes Disney. We should officially call our trip "The Curmudgeons Go to Disney."

All I'm asking for is some Saturday and Sunday mornings where the whole Nasty family sleeps in late, say to 8:30 a.m. Is that so wrong? Is that asking so much?

A couple of weeks ago the supermarket had a sale on frozen pies. Because I perceived the pies to be a deal, I bought a peach pie to do some culinary recon since I haven't had a store-bought, frozen pie in years. Result: It's not very good. But I keep eating it. It's pie after all. I dislike it, but I keep eating it. I keep eating it even though I dislike it. And now it's gone. Peach pie, it dead.

2 comments:

travolta said...

...the whole Nasty family sleeps in late, say to 8:30 a.m. Is that so wrong? Is that asking so much?

I feel your pain brother. We had to tell our boys that they can't come out of their room before 7:30 on weekends otherwise it was 6-6:15.

These are the same kids who we have to drag out of bed on school days. I love being a parent.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yep, I know of what you write.