Friday, February 17, 2012

Music Friday: "I Want To Take You Higher" (1969 & 1984) & "Thank You"

Some Fridays and Saturdays I stay up late, sometimes to 1 or 2 a.m., and I don't know why.

A couple of weekends ago, I stayed up and watched a documentary about Soul Train. It was really damn interesting. I knew about Soul Train. Heck, I watched Soul Train when I was a kid because I was interested in all kinds of music. However, I hadn't realized how influential the show was and still is.

When I was watching it, I saw part of Sly & the Family Stone's performance, which reminded me of how I have always liked their work. I mean, it's straight up FUNK.

And we all need to make this world more funky, metaphorically speaking of course. This documentary spurred me to purchase The Essential Sly & the Family Stone CD, which has been in the rotation on my car stereo since then. Lately, it's been a dyad of Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger and the Sly compilation.

What you have below is "I Want To Take You Higher" from Woodstock and 1984.

The third video is "Thank You" with a short slideshow and then a picture of the head man while the song plays.

In parting, "Peace, Love, and Soul."











R.I.P. Don Cornelius.

2 comments:

Fozzie said...

Like.

I think I karaoked "Everyday People" with Freakshow one night at the house on Normal Street. Didn't really fit in with the early 90's scene.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Was that the night when Freak Show had a hard time giving up the mic with the sorority sisters complaining that he was hogging all the songs?

Or can we even remember?