Thursday, February 2, 2012

I've Had It With Honey Badgers


The viral video of the honey badger has its place in Web's hall of shame, and I'm tired of hearing how supposedly tough the animal is.

Compound the incessant references to the animal and the inane repetition of "he don't care" in pop culture, it's no surprise I'm also no fan of Tyrann Mathieu, the LSU cornerback, who gave Dre Kirkpatrick a concussion in the first LSU vs. Alabama game because of a cheap, dirty shot on a punt.

Regardless of that non sequitir, I wasn't introduced to the creature by the viral video. I learned about the mammal through, no surprise, a children's TV program. Wild Kratts showcased the African honey badger in the "Honey Seekers" episode.

Sure, it's a tough animal, but if you get yourself edified by the Kratt brothers, the honey "badger" is a mammal who's fearless, but it also intimidates by pooting.

It's a strong, aggressive skunk.

There's a series of children's books that my daughter has told me about. The books pit animals against one another to see who would win a fight between the two. For example, one book has a lion and tiger squaring off. An orca and shark get it on. A komodo dragon versus a king cobra and so on.

I propose a new book for the authors of these books: Honey Badger vs. Wolverine.

A wolverine, pound for pound the toughest animal on the planet, would kick that surly skunk's arse.

2 comments:

Travolta said...

"my lawn, get off it!"

Honey Badger doesn't care what you think of him.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Same with the wolverine, but he's tougher.