Monday, February 6, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

My daughter informed me this afternoon that one of friends in her class broke her foot. My daughter apparently was the only one to volunteer to help her friend as she hobbles along throughout the school. A harbinger about the younger generation, or the kids weren't paying attention when the second-grade teacher made a call for volunteers? You decide.

Twain was right when he stated that human are "imitative animals." I think he said that in Letters from the Earth, but I'm not 100% confident about that. When your son says "Jesus H. Christ" with a similar intonation of voice as his father, anecdote supports assertion. And what does H stand for anyway? Herbert, Henry, Hayden, Hieronymus, Holden, or Hugh? I'm betting on Hank. He was supposed to be a carpenter after all.

When the bookstore in the local mall closed a while back, I picked up a copy of The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: Politics for a dirt cheap price. One of my favorite quotations related in the opus is this sentence take from a Pravda article: "Stalin spoke briefly for about an hour." Nice positive spinning right there.

My other favorite from the book is a cartoon with a politician at a lectern, and a pie is being thrown at his face. The caption is "Be mentally prepared to be hit by a pie in the face at any moment." That advice can be applied to many professions.

No comments: