Monday, January 26, 2009

Ten Years of the High-Post

It's official.

Coach Mark Gottfried, the head basketball coach at Alabama, resigned today. After taking over a program pretty much in ruins in 1998 when I started school at the Capstone, Gottfried coached the Tide to a number of NCAA appearances and once got them to the "Great Eight," a feat Wimp Sanderson never achieved. 

Although I think Gottfried has always seemed like a good guy, his teams did underachieve quite often, especially the past few years. Alabama played a style of offense that was outdated and stale--that damn high-post offense of John Wooden's teams at UCLA. 

I wouldn't say I'm particularly sad about this resignation. Although for the past seven years I've lived in an area where Alabama basketball games are rarely televised, I watched some Alabama games from time to time. But watching that methodical, awful offense drove me crazy.

I do remember one of the best moments I've had as a fan though. In '02 my wife and I were at the game where the Tide clinched the SEC regular season title by a last second lay-in by Antoine Pettaway. That was a heck of a game and a hell of an ending.

No comments: