Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fare Thee Well

The eminent American writer, John Updike, passed away today.

Click HERE for the AP story about Updike, and the "Books" section of the NY Times provides a a bit more detailed look at Updike's contribution to American letters, which can be accessed HERE.

Although I haven't read any of his work in a long while, I did my Master's thesis on his four Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom novels. The main character is an American Everyman of sorts, a guy concerned with money, sex, sports, and getting ahead.  Those four novels are also mirrors of America.

Rabbit at Rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember you explaining your thesis to me in college and I thought the books were about rabbits..I miss college..

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Harry Angstrom sometimes has the mind of a rabbit.