Tuesday, January 6, 2009

More and More Are Liking It Hot

As I read in The Economist a little while ago, there's a growing desire for hot foods and hot peppers. Click HERE for "Global Warming: Why the World Has Taken to Chilies" if you're interested in reading about a different effect of globalization. The Dorset naga pepper, which is also profiled in article, makes habaneros look like two-bit chumps of chilies.

This article got me thinking about hot sauce. I'm not a major "heat geek" as the author describes folks who like hot foods, but I do like some hot sauce adding a bit of "wang" to cuisine from time to time. 

I don't like the extremely hot sauces though. I'm partial to the Mexican staple, Cholula. And I also like ole Louisiana Hot Sauce too. When I was at a store a good while back, I picked up a hot sauce I had never seen before. It's called Pepperdoux's, and its makers pitch it as "French Louisiana Pepper Sauce." It uses "aged Tabasco peppers," but it's not as hot as Tabasco--more mild but flavorful.

Dear readers, what are your favorite hot sauces?

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I too like the Cholula sauce. Great stuff. I also make my own habanero hot sauce, which is fantastic. Habaneros, salt, white vinegar all pulverized and left to sit a few weeks and then strained. A quart of it lasts me well over a year, maybe two.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

That sauce of yours does sound good. I plan to plant a hot pepper plant in my garden this summer, so I'll need to learn from your recipe.

One year in Tuscaloosa, I grew a Caribbean Red Hot pepper plant (similar to a habanero), and those suckers were very hot but had great flavor.

Anonymous said...

Dear readers, what are your favorite hot sauces?

I used to take the wasabi, wave it over the sushi, and then throw the wasabi away.

I am now up to taking a microscopic dot of the green stuff and placing it on my California roll.

I can't stand hot sauce, if you are having trouble picking up my subtle hints.