Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Random Notes from a Crank

After driving from Venice, Florida to Nashville on Friday, it's clear to me that both Florida and Georgia are very long states. Call me Captain Obvious. 

On the drive through Florida and Georgia, I was surprised how many billboards there were on I-75. I've haven't driven much on major interstates on the East Coast, so I don't have a lot of exposure to them, but there were billboards everywhere -- just constant.

A particular billboard I had to suffer through was one advertising a gentleman's club somewhere in the Atlanta area with this simple message: "STRIPPERS. Need we say more?" Thank the Gods that my nine-year daughter was watching movies and reading books because I really didn't want to field the question of "Daddy, what's a stripper?" If posed with that question, I think I'll redirect it with a statement such as "Well, maybe Mommy can explain that." You've been warned, Mrs. Nasty. 

To occasionally counterbalance the stripper advertising, there were assorted religious billboards, which got me thinking...

Why not combine the two?: Pole dancing for Jesus. Read the opinion piece and watch the video. Believe!  

Then I did a simple web search with the search term "Strippers for Jesus." I found all kinds of stuff, including a documentary about the "Pussycat Preacher." 

It appears this kooky idea has already been taken. 

Another big billboard I saw a lot of over a stretch of road was advertising for a gas station named Magnolia Plantation. I suspect they don't get a ton of African-Americans customers with that name since I suspect many folks aren't interested in going to a place called a plantation. Just sayin'.

Since the presidential election is now behind us, I also wondered whether all the blank billboards I saw were from the political ads that harassed stalked blanketed Florida. I noticed a few political billboards here and there about how the sky is going to fall if Obama gets reelected, but not a ton. 

2 comments:

Fozzie said...

I pretty sure there is only one God in Georgia, sir.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Duly noted.