Saturday, April 14, 2012

That Just Ain't Right


What you see above is the garish monstrosity of "art" that currently resides beyond the outfield fences of Marlins Park in the new MLB ball park in Miami.

I know it's Miami and all, but that sculpture, if we have permission to call it that, looks like something a drunk and stoned hippy marine biologist, who was told by one of his esteem-building grade school art teachers that he was "artistic," cooked up in a hazy stupor one Saturday night when the Marlins owner was throwing a party at his pad, and the Marlins owner--sunburned, dehydrated, and wanting, as he said, to think "outside the box"--after a long rambling conversation with our artistic marine biologist friend (let's just call him "Phil."), said, "Sure, let's go with day-glo green on the walls. I like your thinking. And I also want to commission the psychedelic homage to Miami sculpture you've pitched to me. [Burp!] Honey, could you get me another Dos Equis, and Phil, pass the hashish."

I've been to what many people consider the worst MLB ball park out there: Tropicana Field. I've often compared that park to watching a baseball game in bathtub with a roof. It's not a good place to see a game.

After watching part of one game played at the Miami ball park recently, I think "the Trop" has some competition.

That thing in the outfield looks like some monstrous version of bric-a-brac one might find in a crappy souvenir store somewhere on the Florida coast. That shizz is damn ugly.

No comments: