Friday, April 20, 2012

Music Friday: "No Future" & "Jackson" plus Interview with Craig Finn

As I mentioned in the post below this post (or just scroll down), I've been listening to The Hold Steady a lot recently.

The lead singer of the band, Craig Finn, put out his own solo record, but I didn't get around to purchasing it until after by buddy Foz recommended it to me. Thanks, Foz.

The album, Clear Heart Full Eyes, is significantly different than the standard fare put out by The Hold Steady. The tunes are more reserved and less guitar-oriented, so Finn's fine lyrics are featured more prominently.

Possibly my favorite song on the album is "No Future." The idea that the persona of the lyrics met the Devil in a Perkin's makes me smile. But there's more to the song than just that. See for yourself below.





And here's "Jackson."





The interview he did with ABC News is interesting because he talks about his composing process and the themes in his music.


No comments: