Sunday, April 8, 2012

Gone Fishing



For whatever reason, Easter Sunday felt like a good day to take the boat out on the local lake and go fishing. Really, it was the kids' idea mostly.

So this afternoon I charged up the battery for the trolling motor, got our fishing licenses, mixed some fresh gas for the outboard, got the kids new fishing rods and reels, and then headed to the lake.

The first couple of spots didn't turn up any fish. But we settled in at a spot on the far side of the lake from the dock and actually caught some fish. I caught three smallish bass and a juvenile saugeye (pictured above) while Mrs. Nasty caught a couple of bass. The kids got shut out unfortunately.

I can't say I got a ton of fishing in with the kids wanting to change their lures on a regular basis. My daughter somehow messed up the line in her reel, which took some time to fix. And my son did the same, but I wasn't able to fix it.

I had never caught a saugeye before. At first glance, they look similar to a walleye and fight much the same: they like to dive to try to escape.

Since Mrs. Nasty and my daughter will be away most of next weekend, I think the boy and I will try our luck at the campus ponds or the same lake though we won't be taking the boat just with us two. And we'll be using worms (with bobber) next time, so the little fisherman has a stronger chance of landing a fish.

I first have to purchase a new reel for him though.

4 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

I nearly wept with the memories this post dredged up to the surface. Beautiful. It comforts me.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks Sandy.

I fondly remember fishing with my Dad, so I find the cyclical nature of it all comforting.

I'm pretty sure I wasn' t that loud when I fished with Dad though. My kids were proudly casting their lures to great lengths, many times with my four-year old son excitedly saying, "Did you see how far it went!?!"

Sandy Longhorn said...

Ah, yes, as the youngest and chattiest, I often got chastised for chasing the fish away. :)

So glad your family traditions continue.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Banging around in the boat doesn't attract fish either.