Sunday, April 1, 2012

Baseball Predictions

With Major League Baseball expanding its wild card by two with a hastily put together one-game wild card play-in game this season, I thought I'd take this opportunity to take my fantasy baseball knowledge and try to translate it to decent predictions on the upcoming season.

As is the case during most seasons, there is usually a "break out" team that surprises pundits. My predictions reflect that probable reality. Below you'll find my predictions of what teams will win the divisions and garner the wild cards.

National League
East: Atlanta Braves
Central: Cincinnati Reds
West: San Francisco Giants
Wild Card 1: Miami Marlins
Wild Card 2: Washington Nationals

American League
East: Tampa Bay Rays
Central: Detroit Tigers
West: Texas Rangers
Wild Card 1: Los Angeles Angels
Wild Card 2: Boston Red Sox

World Series: The Rays beat the Braves in six games.

What I'd really like to see is two specific small market teams--the Kansas City Royals and the Pittsburgh Pirates--do well this season and be in the hunt.

For the Pirates, they have a less difficult path because of the weakness of NL Central.

No comments: