Tuesday, April 10, 2012

America's "Fiercest Songwriter"

For whatever reason CNN did a short feature on James McMurtry on Monday.

It's neither long nor detailed, but it showcases his no nonsense, acerbic ethos. At least there's that.

When I get to thinking about the shallowness of the piece, at least going by his song lyrics, I think I can channel what McMurtry might say about the CNN piece: It exemplifies the lack of depth produced by the corporate media outlets.

Infotainment.

In somewhat related matters, I doubt FoxNews will ever do a short feature on McMurtry because he's been particularly critical of a fellow "Texan," George W. Bush. For example, see "Cheney's Toy."

Other than the annoying question I'm sure he has to answer all the time about his famous father, there wasn't a lot of discussion about McMurtry's influences, his long and distinguished career, his own musical style, and his lyrics that provide social commentary and sometimes dark humor about the American human condition.

From what I recall, the article I linked to in a Music Friday post in 2010 does a much better job of profiling the artist.

No comments: