Friday, December 2, 2011

Music Friday: "Longest Days"

I mentioned Mellencamp's Life, Death, Love, & Freedom album in my "Third Wave" post.

The tune below is the opening song of that album, and I've supplied the lyrics.

Welcome to ennui and reflection.





Longest Days
Seems like once upon a time ago
I was where I was supposed to be.
My vision was true, and my heart was too.
There was no end to what I could dream.
I walked like a hero into the setting sun.
Everyone called out my name.
Death to me was just a mystery.
I was too busy raising up Cain.

But nothing lasts forever.
Your best efforts don't always pay.
Sometimes you get sick
And don't get better.
That's when life is short
Even in its longest days.

So you pretend not to notice
That everything has changed,
The way that you look,
And the friends you once had.
So you keep on acting the same.
But deep down in your soul
You know you, you got no flame.
And who knows then which way to go.
Life is short even in its longest days.

All I got here
Is a rear view mirror,
Reflections of where I've been.
So you tell yourself I'll be back up on top some day,
But you know there's nothing waiting up there for you anyway.

Nothing lasts forever,
And your best efforts don't always pay.
Sometimes you get sick
And you don't get better.
That's when life is short
Even in its longest days.

Life is short
Even in its longest days.

No comments: