Thursday, December 22, 2011

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Pie Crust

Since I just made this, why not post the recipe while I drink a glass of Guinness Black Lager and try to decide what beer it reminds me of.

But anyway, this pie crust is one I've used often. It comes from a cookbook created by my parents' church -- Immanuel Presbyterian Church in Waterloo, IA --  back when I was a kid.

Below are the ingredients and the process.

Stage 1:
3 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 1/4 cups shortening or lard

Mix all of this with a pastry blender or fork until it's all crumbly.

Stage 2:
1 egg beaten and cold water to make 2/3 cup of liquid
1 teaspoon of vinegar

Put the wet ingredients in, mix it all together, form into 2-3 balls, chill them, and then roll out the dough.

I chilled it for thirty minutes in the fridge tonight, I started rolling one ball, and it just wasn't working.

So I put the two balls in the freezer for thirty minutes, then transferred them to the fridge for fifteen mintues, and then got to rolling.

But back to the black lager. It reminds me of Shiner Black Lager, but I think Shiner's version has a stronger flavor profile -- hoppier. Or you could just call it a Guinness Lite.

2 comments:

Babe Runner said...

1) What's your favorite filling? I usually go with boring-but-reliable apple myself, though maybe that's because I only ever make pie in winter when apples are all we got. 2) I know folks swear lard/shortening makes superior crusts (my mother always used shortening), but what do you think about butter? Sacrilege or scrumptious?

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

The only filling I don't like is mince meat, and that's probably because I've never had a good one.

Of my favorites I'd have to go with blackberry, peach, pecan, mulberry, pumpkin, sweet potato, coconut cream, lemon meringue, and banana probably in that order. I've also had a sweet potato/pecan pie before that was excellent. I like pie, so it's hard to pick a favorite.

I haven't had good luck making apple pies lately though I like 'em.

I've never tried making a butter or lard crust. I've had lard crust before, and it's good. I'm intrigued by using pig fat for a pastry -- just haven't done it yet.