Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Taco Meat Cheese Fries

Yes, you read that title correctly. I linked "culinary" and cheese fries.

Lately the Nasty family has been observing Sunday as "Taco Night." Routinely, we have taco meat left over. And when a man's out of tortillas, you gotta make do. Since I was making some frozen crinkle fries this evening, I created the concoction in the title.

First I'll provide the ingredients and recipe for the taco meat I've been making lately:

Ingredients:
I bell pepper, diced
1/2 of a red onion or 2 large shallots, diced
1 lb. lean ground turkey
Healthy smidge of Penzey's Salsa seasoning, maybe a teaspoon
Healthy smidge of Penzey's Adobo seasoning, maybe a teaspoon
4-5 dollops of salsa
Ground black pepper to taste

Taco meat process:
Sweat down the pepper and onion/shallots and then add in the ground turkey. Break up as usual and add the salsa and adobo seasoning along with black pepper. Once the meat starts browning a bit, add the salsa and cook until ready.

Once you have that meat and once you've baked your store-bought frozen crinkle fries per the package's directions, plate the fries, scatter however much taco meat you want atop the fries, and then top with shredded cheese of your liking.

If it's not already available, you might find this dish coming to a stadium or ballpark near you.

2 comments:

Babe Runner said...

Also good with beans (kidney, black or pinto), or over a baked russet potato to make it marginally healthier. Yeah, it's practically a salad.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

What? I thought those fries were healthy?!? I mean, they're baked, right?

Yeh, I've done that too (over baked potatoes) -- not with the beans though. I'll have to try that.