Thursday, December 22, 2011

Understanding the Introverts

I've taken the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator a number of times. The result is that I'm an INTJ, with strong preferences for introversion and judging. In fact, my introversion factor is usually around 90% most of the time.

So I was happy to see that one of my friends on FB shared this older article from The Atlantic that addresses the oppression of introverts. Well, sort of. Part of it has a some self-congratulatory back-slapping ("a majority of the gifted population," etc.).

Writing from this introvert's point of view, I usually don't like "conversations about feelings..." and how the presidents who were introverts were Coolidge, Nixon, and Reagan. Awkwardness and bad company right there.

I agree with the statement by Sartre that the author provides though: "Hell is other people at breakfast." And I like the motto of introverts that he offers: "I'm okay, you're okay -- in small doses."

So here's  "Caring For Your Introvert" by Jonathan Rauch. It's a short read that could help you cope with an introvert or yourself.

4 comments:

Babe Runner said...

I got INFJ, heaviest on the N. Best career for INFJ? Teaching, particularly liberal arts. Shoot. I hate it when surveys make me feel predictable.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

More of a feeler than a thinker, eh?

I can't recall what all of my recommended careers were, but teaching the liberal arts wasn't one of them. If I remember right, they recommended computer systems analyst, consulting work, etc.

Fern said...

I enjoyed this bit: "Extroverts are easy for introverts to understand, because extroverts spend so much of their time working out who they are in voluble, and frequently inescapable, interaction with other people. They are as inscrutable as puppy dogs." That sounds about right. An INFJ (lower case "i"), I do find people interesting and energizing, to a point. But after that point, I got nothin'.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yes, people -- they get tiresome after a while.