Friday, November 11, 2011

Music Friday: "Paranoid"

Today is not only Veteran's Day, but it's also National Metal Day.

In the past, I've posted songs related to veterans, which you can mash below if you like.
Today, however, since it's National Metal Day, I'm going with a band often credited with being one of the first heavy metal bands: Black Sabbath

It's the band circa 1970.




As a musical genre, metal is pretty easy to make fun of and criticize--the mainly male angst, self-destructive themes, Tolkien-like or creepy lyrics by some, the bad-boy mystique of many of the bands, the wearing of Spandex, big hair, and you could probably add your own to this list. And do so in the comments section if you like.

However, as a teenager in the 80s, metal was a genre I listened to often. It wasn't the only type of music I listened to by any means, but I still like it.

From the goofiness and bawdy nature of Van Halen to the anger and aggressive riffs of Metallica, metal has influenced my musical tastes. 

No comments: