Monday, June 20, 2011

I Thought It Was a St. Louis Thing


For Father's Day yesterday, one of my presents was a washers set, the mass produced type pictured above. Mrs. Nasty and the kids got the set from our local Rural King

For those of you who aren't familiar with the game, it's a variation on horseshoes except players use large washers and square boxes with part of pvc tubing in the middle of the boxes. You set the boxes twenty feet apart and toss the washers to their destination. A washer that goes into the tube scores three points, and a washer that goes into the box outside the tube scores one point.

I was first introduced to the game at a party maybe during my sophomore year in college. I don't recall exactly, but it was somewhere in that time period. Since where I went to undergraduate was/is lousy with all kinds of folks from the St. Louis area, I assumed washers was a St. Louis thing, a game born of the working class in South City, a game played outside in the small backyards of the city where Busch and Bud flow freely and alleged pork "steaks" are grilled.

As a side note, I'm surprised South City does not have its own Wikipedia entry and I have to link a "Neighborhoods of St. Louis" page instead.

Maybe I'm mistaken in assuming that it's a St. Louis thing since the International Association of Washer Players in based in Birmingham, Alabama. Then again, when I lived in Alabama, I never saw anyone play washers, and after reading up on their version of the game, it's not the washers game I'm familiar with. I'm used to seeing homemade boxes for the game, not pits.

For example, when we played washers at my fraternity house, we used someone's homemade boxes, and if you wanted to play a game involving pits, you went to the back edge of the backyard for horseshoes.

Regardless, we played a game yesterday, and the Hannah and I were victorious over Mrs. Nasty and Quinn. It was fun and brought back memories. I'm certainly rusty though. I need to get some practice in before late April for the 40th Roseball in Kirksville.

Even though they're a mass produced deal, the boxes seem pretty sturdy. I guess if they do break down, I can always follow the instructions on YouTube for "How to Build a Washers Game."

3 comments:

travolta said...

...and alleged pork "steaks" are grilled.

Them there's fighting words sirrah. Pork steaks are some of the best grilling there is.

If you do not disown this terrible slander I shall be forced to demand satisfaction on the field of honor.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Calling that cut of meat a steak is slick marketing.

When I explained to my dad what they were, Virg, who spent thirty years as a meat cutter in a grocery store, smiled and confirmed that they're a cheap cut of meat.

I'm not fond of them, but I've eaten a few. I made a snide reference to them before, way back in late '07: http://plannedob.blogspot.com/2007/12/list-about-st-louis.html

Whenever we get to the field of (dis)honor, my strategy will be to run around to wear you down. Then I come in late and "down goes Frazier!"

travolta said...

...confirmed that they're a cheap cut of meat.

Oh, I've no doubt of that, but they are still good eatin'

All that fat gives them extra flavor, especially when you can take the time to grill them low and slow.

Whenever we get to the field of (dis)honor, my strategy will be to run around to wear you down. Then I come in late and "down goes Frazier!"

Eh, that would probably work. Screw the fighting, lets just have some more grilled meat with too much barbecue sauce on top.