Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fumbling Toward Culinary Talent: Salsa Verde Turkey Enchiladas

I've made this dish a couple of times since Mrs. Nasty brought home Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This!, which is a cookbook that has the subtitle of 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods All Under 350 Calories.

Before I started reading the cookbook, I had some healthy skepticism about the recipes since I'm old fashioned.  I like my comfort food the old way, damn it. But after browsing the book and making a number of dishes, it's a good cookbook. Dispirito has some tips that reduce fat and calories without losing too much flavor if any at all.

So what I'm presenting here today is my modification of Dispirito's "Cheesy Turkey Enhiladas with Tomatillo Salsa and Cilantro" (he needs to work on concision with his titles), which can be found on page 128.

Ingredients:
1 package of ground turkey
1/2 of onion, chopped finely
2 Anaheim peppers, chopped finely
1 tin of store bought bean dip
Tortillas
1 jar of store-bought tomatillo salsa
Reduced fat Mexican cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

First you need to sweat down the onion and peppers on medium high heat in a skillet, and then you add in the ground turkey until it's cooked thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste, but I also like to sometimes add smoked paprika and Worschestershire sauce to give the turkey a bit more character. Once the turkey cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and add in the bean dip until it's all fully incorporated.

Once that's done, trowel the meat/bean mixture into tortillas and place them them in a casserole dish. Liberally drizzle the salsa verde on top of the enchiladas and top with cheese. Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes, and they should be done.

No comments: