Friday, April 29, 2011

Road Trip & Tuscaloosa


I heard about the disaster in Tuscaloosa this morning when I read the news reports and viewed videos of the tornado that decimated T-Town.

But then I had to travel to Iowa because my dad's heart surgery was scheduled for tomorrow. As I got near Iowa City, my sister informed me that the surgery isn't going to happen because once they checked my dad's blood, they found the white blood count and kidney levels too high to do the double bypass. So we wait for about another month.

So now I'm here in Waterloo to visit with my parents and siblings for another day, and I head back on Saturday.

On the way up, I thought about my dad of course, but I also pondered the state of emergency in Tuscaloosa. It sounds as the tornado ripped right through the main thoroughfare in the city and just east of the Capstone. For all I know, the apartment where Mrs. Nasty and I first lived together as a married couple could be gone, wiped by the destruction.

Because of a city I love, it's been painful watching the news.

The picture below is of the Cedar Crest neighborhood right off 15th where our old apartment was/is.


3 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

I've never even been there and this hurts my heart. Can't imagine how you must feel. So sad.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks, Sandy.

Mrs. Nasty said...

I hadn't seen this picture yet and I am devastated. We had such great memories of those years there. Breaks my heart because I love that town as much as you!!!