Monday, April 25, 2011

Random Notes from a Crank



This weekend I watched a number of TV programs, and they informed me that having a dog helps prevent heart disease, and the same goes for gardening. Some research out there provides a causal link that says people who garden having less of a chance of heart problems and stress in general.

I can see why someone would try to make that claim since there is a therapeutic aspect of gardening. And you can get some low-impact sort of exercise, I guess. But what about the weeds? They don't create stress. But possibly anger? I look down at my rows of lettuce, spinach, shallots, and carrots, and I think, "I just pulled some of you bastards a little while ago."

Obviously, I should have sprung for a bagged mower, so I could put grass clippings in between the rows. That's a veteran move my dad used in his garden all the time.

But to dogs. I can see how they reduce stress, but then again, these studies don't account for the constant picking up of poop or the barking. I'm a dog lover--don't get me wrong. Darby has been a great dog for us, so I'm not saying I dislike my dog or something.

A couple of programs the kids and I watched were on Animal Planet. They featured certain breeds, and one of shows focused on my favorite: the English Springer Spaniel. Loyal, smart, obedient, easy to train, great with kids, those dogs are my favorite breed. No contest.

During the program's talk about the breed, they discussed how a Springer is being used in a suburb in Ontario somewhere for harassing geese from public parks and golf courses. It was fabulous. They showed tape of that Springer running all over the place to chase off geese, swimming after 'em, flushing those honkers to somewhere else.

Darby isn't a Springer. She's half beagle and half either Black Lab or German Shepherd, but she has a hatred for birds like that dog in the show. She protects the backyard from any bird landing on the ground. She don't play.

Since I've been taping Looney Toons on Cartoon Network for our viewing pleasure, I've been reliving cartoons from my childhood. There are benefits to this. Today Quinn ate a whole big carrot for a snack while saying on occasion, "What's up Doc?"

But Daffy. I prefer the Duck to the Hare. In particular, I enjoy the old Daffy Duck cartoons before he started getting paired with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. In the older cartoons, he was more of trickster figure and perhaps slightly lunatic with all the hootin' and hollerin'.

Later on, the Duck got made into a vain, cheap, and self-centered character. To a degree, he compares to the Jack Benny character Benny created for his show.

Take care clowns.

4 comments:

Babe Runner said...

I had a soft spot for Sylvester the cat and, of course, Wile E. Coyote. Tweetie, on the other hand, is a mutant freak, and the roadrunner badly needed his comeuppance. I wanted to see the coyote train really hard for some desert ultramarathons, get carbed up, and finally get that stupid bird once and for all. Protein builds muscles!

As far as dogs/gardening, I think I remember reading something about this: the key is the fact that these involve something living. They are just as stressful and rewarding as other activities in many ways, but dealing with something alive that grows and changes seems to provide an added benefit, for whatever reason. Well, then, perhaps I should stop cleaning off that shower curtain mold so vigorously and just live and let live, eh?

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

One of the episodes yesterday had one of my favorite Sylvester cartoons--the one where he's singing on the fence, which prevents Fudd from sleeping.

I find Tweetie and the Chicken Hawk characters equally annoying. Foghorn has some good barbs too.

I also enjoy the historical references in many of the cartoons, such as mentions of "victory gardens" and old movie stars.

Speaking of living things providing pleasure Babe... Wait, doesn't that phrase sound a little dirty, like the start of a pick-up line? Anyway, I cut some spinach yesterday that I planted in the fall, and it survived the whole winter. The newer spinach may be ready in a few weeks if you're interested along with some lettuce possibly being ready.

Babe Runner said...

I used to do a mean imitation of Foghorn Leghorn. Ah say, ah say son...and that's about as far as it went. Did he ever say anything esle?

Forget friends in high places -- friends with vegetable gardens, that's the ticket. Yes, yes, and yes again, I will take any spinach you can spare. Iron helps us play!

fern said...

Everything I know about opera and 30s celebrities I picked up, after one bounce, from Looney Tunes.