Friday, April 22, 2011

Music Friday: "Midnight in Mississippi"


For me, one of the iconic albums of alt-country during the 90s is Dog Days by Blue Mountain, the band out of the fine city of Oxford, Mississippi, a town I wouldn't mind moving to after I retire.

Blue Mountain disbanded at one time, but they're back together now as far as I can tell even though it's hard to track down what's going on with the band via the InterWebs. The album above came out a few years ago, and today's featured song from it recounts a story borne of juke joint culture in the Mississippi Delta, the area where Delta Blues music originated.

Hope you enjoy "Midnight in Mississippi."

I'm also wondering, if some readers are inclined to share, what you might think are some of the important albums of alt-country during the 90s? I have some ideas, but I'd rather hear yours.

7 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks for another fine recommendation!

As for Oxford, MS, I concur and hope to see you there all those years in the future.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yeh, Oxford or Tuscaloosa are my targets. Now, I haven't discussed this extensively with Mrs. Nasty yet, but I've got time.

The dude abides.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Long live the Dude.

Fozzie said...

More people need to know about Blue Mountain. A great band.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I agree Foz. In contrast to DBT, Isbell, and many other folks, they don't seem to be too keen on getting a presence on the Internet.

What 90s alt-country albums would you pick for iconic status: Whiskeytown's Faithless Street, Uncle Tupelo's No Depression (or just everything from 'em), Son Volt's Trace, the two Jayhawks' albums, The Bottle Rockets' The Brooklyn Side?

Fozzie said...

No Depression is the standard-bearer, but Faithless Street is magnificent. Too bad Ryan Adams is a wack-job. That is a great album. He hasn't come close to repeating it, not that he has tried very hard. Check out Slobberbone for punkish alt-country like old Uncle Tupelo.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yeh, what I've heard of Slobberbone I like. They're now defunct, right?