Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Judging Melons

In the recent issue of Utne, there's an article taken from Small Farmer's Journal titled "The Watermelon Whisperer."

Like the author, David Feela, I also don't seem to have the best luck picking out watermelons, but his short essay recounts his encounter with a older lady named Margaret, who gives him the low-down on how to judge melons. There's a three-step process, and you can read the article by clicking HERE.

I remember reading or hearing about the "sugar spot" on watermelons, and the color factor is kind of obvious. But the article finally explains the thumping method. I have seen people thumping melons since I was a little kid (my Dad is a proficient thumper), but I never understood exactly what they were listening for. Apparently the ideal is a vibration "radiat[ing] through the entire melon."

No comments: