Sunday, September 21, 2008

In Praise of Buttermilk

Although it's next to impossible in finding old fashioned buttermilk nowadays, I've taken a liking to the store-bought variety.

The product is misnamed since it's not buttery at all and has much less fat than regular milk. Regardless, it works well as a battering agent for fried foods. Southerners are well known for marinating their chicken pieces in buttermilk overnight before they fry it properly. It creates a perfect coating before you dip the chicken into flour. And I don't make skillet cornbread without buttermilk--it's essential.

I read or heard somewhere that drinking it settles the stomach. I don't know if that's all that true, but I sure like drinking a small glass of it from time to time. Good stuff, people. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you the Southern version of Cliff Claven?

Mark another check to tally the fluff pieces! :)

What about Buttermilk being applied to the hangover situation?

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Southern?

I'm an Iowan, Kenson.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Buttermilk to help with a hangover?

Hmmm...I don't know about that home remedy, but I distinctly remember a gentleman who lived in Kirksville for quite a while (worked at Hy-Vee) who swore by drinking a big glass of milk to help "coat his stomach" before going out.

Anonymous said...

"Southern".........Was more refrencing your stint in the South plus you strong appreciation for the South.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I know, Kenson. I like to bust balls.

Anonymous said...

Likewise........

Anonymous said...

You talkin about me Taylor??

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Yes, Mr. Horner, I am referring to you. And I'm glad to see you're part of the Planned Ob community. It's an exclusive club, my brother.

I can't remember whether you drank milk before going out or after? It was before you/we went out, right?