Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thoughts on the Tuesday Before Super Tuesday

I am surprised by the results tonight in Florida. I thought Romney would make the GOP race interesting. While it's not a done deal yet, I don't see how Romney pulls off a victory. He can look in the mirror all he wants and ask himself for more money for ads, but Huckabee still in the race cuts into part of his base.

I wonder what the reaction will be around the conservative talk show circuit tomorrow. Will Rush flip-flop? Will the wannabe Limbaughs on the am dial see that McCain has the best shot of winning the presidency for the GOP? Will they all act like Bill O'Reilly and backtrack on statements made and rationalize to new positions?

All you dittoheads need to keep me informed.

As for the Democrats, Hillary said tonight on MSNBC that they're pretty much going to reign in Bill during the rest of the campaign.

We'll see how long that happens.

Whatever your political leaning, Billary is in a tough spot. They've pissed off many African-American voters (a reliable voting block) and many big kahunas in the party. If they actually win the thing, they have a lot of fence-mending to do. But I don't even think Bill has enough soul butter and hogwash to repair what's been going on. If the Democrats nominate Clinton, what happens to all the new folks brought into the party ranks? Do they sit home at election night because she's distinctly uninspirational?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am shocked that Edwards dropped out.

I don't think it is much of a stretch to think that the Democratic delegate count going into the convention would have been something like Clinton 45%, Obama 40%, Edwards 10%. Clearly he has been promised something he wants in exchange for not hanging around to play kingmaker.

As far as "my" side goes, I think it is going to be McCain also, but we'll see. Since the Republicans have more winner-takes-all primaries it is less likely for non-front runners to stick around.

I'm just disappointed that after only 5 or 6 relatively small states, the field is narrowed so far down. Since I don't like any of the guys still running, I'm probably going to vote for Fred Thompson since he's on the ballot.

It looks like, yet again, in the general election I'll be voting against one candidate rather than for the other guy. I look forward to voting in favor of someone for President. It hasn't happened yet.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I was kind of surprised by Edwards quick departure also.

Many experts are shaking their brains to figure out where Edwards voters flock to. It's hard to figure. My gut reaction is that most go to Obama, but I don't know. He ganged up on Clinton with Obama in one debate, which made her sob a few days later. Then he sided more often with Clinton in the last debate.

The current rumor is that if Obama wins the presidency, that Edwards has been promised Attorney General. We'll see.

Interestingly enough, the third place candidate has talked about the economy all throughout his campaign.

If Obama wins, I'll be voting for a candidate. If Clinton wins, I'll be voting against McCain or Romney.

So it goes.