Thursday, January 24, 2008

Distortions and Deceit

As the linked article from the Washington Post relates, some Democrats are getting tired of the Clintons, particularly Bill aggressive tactics against Obama or blaming the media or blaming Obama using the media as his surrogate.

"Some in Party Bristle at Clintons' Attacks" link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/23/AR2008012304036.html

I tend to agree with the article in that the debate should be about ideas, but if Obama is getting attacked by two candidates (Billary), he needs to strike back. Credibility/Character (ethos) matters.

I think it's fairly obvious what happens when you don't address obvious distortions of your record or facts (see John Kerry's presidential bid or the run-up to the Iraq War for examples). If lies or distortions are presented so often, people start believing them, unfortunately. The perception becomes the reality.

For me, I wanted to see Obama punch back at how the BET owner referenced his drug use a while back. Obama could have simply said something like this: "Yes, that was in the past. I was young and needed guidance in my life. And thankfully I found it. At that time in my life, I unfortunately smoked marijuana (brief pause). I inhaled. "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's fairly obvious what happens when you don't address obvious distortions of your record or facts (see John Kerry's presidential bid...

I assume you are referring to the Swift Boat ads.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/017385.php

The Swift Boat Vets have never been refuted. Indeed, the most effective ad they had was simply John Kerry in his own words accusing US soldiers of daily atrocities in Vietnam.

If their other accusations aren't true, then Senator Kerry could refute most of their other points if he signed Form 180 as he promised.

http://polipundit.com/index.php?p=6230#Form180Promise


I apologize in advance for stirring up trouble from three years ago, this election cycle just brings it out of me. :)