Thursday, January 10, 2008

The GreenMobile Has Arrived!

This linked article from ENN (Link: http://www.enn.com/top_stories/article/28939) initially made me smirk when I saw that a researcher at Mississippi State has created an environmentally-friendly trailer. MS State, renowned for undergraduates with cow crap on their boots, and Mississippi, renowned for single-wides and double-wides, creates all kinds of fun images, even though I enjoyed the South when I lived in the great state of Alabama. Any comedian worth his or her salt will jump on this story, I'm sure.

Regardless, the project is an interesting idea to me: affordable, energy-efficient housing.

I think J.J. Grey is probably talking more about Oxford, Ole Miss, and "the Grove" (a magical place that Kenny has experienced) than Starkville (the home of MS State), but nonetheless...

"Mississippi" by J.J. Grey & Mofro

Well I dearly love my home but
She never looked so good to me
Blue skies and dragonflies
Muddy creek Lord set me free

Good things are going on
there in Mississippi
She made me feel good
there in Mississippi

Folks smiling and saying hey
In my car as I'm passing by
And I can smell those barbeque grills
firing on the fourth of July

Good things are going on
there in Mississippi
She made me feel good
there in Mississippi

Good things are going on
there in Mississippi
She made me feel good
there in Mississippi

Everybody moving everybody grooving
everybody letting it all get loose
there in Mississippi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the link...

"Lenders have indicated they would consider 35- to 40-year mortgages," Berk said.

From what I've read, the problem with financing mobile homes isn't the quality of the home. Its the mobile part. Banks aren't willing to take the risk that someone will move the home across the country before it gets foreclosed.

Finding a solution to that problem would be great for the country and the world. Being able to convert a meaningful percentage of new housing from site-built to factory-manufactured would drive down prices for all housing, helping people of all classes.

And hurt home construction companies, being the target of a disruptive technology can suck, ask the buggy-whip industry.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

People aren't using buggy-whips anymore?

The Horror