Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Stay Positive: Safe Area Gorazde

One of my Xmas presents this year was Joe Sacco's Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992-95. I was first introduced to Sacco's graphic reporting in Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt, which he co-authored with Chris Hedges. 



It's a stunning work ~ compelling, sad realism. 

When I worked in St. Louis, I taught a number of students who had fled that region of the world as a result of the Bosnian War, and I wanted to learn more about that horrible war. I read about the conflict as it happened, but the stories Sacco tells are graphic, heartbreaking, and thought provoking. 



We can hope that a war like happened there won't happen again, but in a world full of hatred based on religion and ethnicity while organizations and governments dither around, I'm not confident we'll learn from our mistakes.


No comments: