Monday, January 13, 2014

Stay Positive: Revisiting Slang

Here's a short article that shows you that the 20s had some sweet slang: "59 More Slang Phrases from the 1920s We Should Start Using Again." 

Here are my favorites: 
  • Air Tight
  • Barneymugging
  • Blind Pig
  • Boiled as an Owl
  • Eel's Hips
  • Face Stretcher
  • Flat Tire
  • Hit on All Sixes
  • Mustard Plaster
  • Off-Time Jive

That list led me to checking out slang from the 80s since that's when I was a teenager.

LikeTotally80s.com has a decent list. I used the term "psych" a lot back in 6th and 7th grade.  

Culture Brats offers its Top 26 80s SlangI always liked the terms "stoked" and "bogus." 

One of the most extensive lists I found is the "Glossary of Eighties Terms" by In the 80s. Below is a list of my favorites. Ones that I used back then have one asterisk (*), and terms that I still might use from time to time have two asterisks (**). 

  • Amped**
  • Big Time*
  • Bite Me
  • Bogart
  • Burn**
  • Butt Ugly
  • Dexter
  • Dickweed*
  • Dis**
  • Face*
  • Get Real**
  • Lame**
  • Mall Chick
  • Mental*
  • Raw
  • Schweet
  • Skeezer
  • Spiffy**
  • Step Off
  • Tits
  • Trippin'*

One term I didn't see on the 80s lists is "doggin'," a verb meaning that you are giving someone a hard time. For example: "Why are you always doggin' on Luke?" or "I'm just doggin' on you, man." That term was widely used in my junior high school.

No comments: