Friday, August 3, 2012

Music Friday: "Wildflowers," "Don't Come Around Here No More," & "Running Down a Dream"

I've been listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers a lot this week. It started with the Greatest Hits album in the car and then moved to taking in Full Moon Fever, Wildflowers, and Damn the Torpedoes.

In a contemporary music scene full of vapid pop/dance music and with the growth of beard and/or hat wearin', always seeming to be harmonizin', stand-up drum thumpin', granola-chewin', overly emotive lyric employin' folk/rock/Americana music, how 'bout some good old rock-n-roll?

In a Facebook moment though --posts with pictures of cats and/or kids-- the first two songs remind me of my kids.

The first, "Wildflowers," makes me think of my daughter because she would look beautiful in a field of wildflowers although I'm not crazy about the line "Run away, find you a lover" because she already has a crush on a boy in her dance troupe. It was pretty obvious even before Mrs. Nasty told me about it. She's only eight, damn it.





The next song connects to my five-year old son, who when he heard this song in the car yesterday, exclaimed, "That's the song from We Bought a Zoo!" We've watched that movie three times this week, which isn't too large of a burden because the film has Scarlet Johansson in it.





And here's the classic "Running Down a Dream," which is a great driving song. Speaking of driving, we're headed to St. Louis this Saturday. We're staying the night, so if any of St. Louis-based readers want to do something, give me a call. I know we're taking the kids to the Zoo Saturday, and Mrs. Nasty and I hanker for Greek food.


No comments: