Friday, August 24, 2012

Music Friday: "Take the Power Back," "Know Your Enemy," "Freedom," & "People of the Sun"

This morning I noticed a student wearing a black t-shirt sporting the cover for Rage Against the Machine's album Evil Empire, and that reminded me a status update from one of my FB friends a week or so ago that linked a short article by Tom Morello's about Paul Ryan reportedly liking Rage's music

I suspect Mr. Ryan has not been listening closely to Rage's lyrics. So here's a few songs that contrast Ryan's ideas and positions. 

"Take the Power Back" is a rhetorical hand grenade against Eurocentrism and Eurocentric curricula. 





Here's more of that with a revolutionary tinge in "Know Your Enemy." 

A stanza of note:
Come on. 
Yes, I know my enemies.
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me.
Yeah compromise, conformity, assimilation,
Submission, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite. 





Here's the video for "Freedom," which is self-explanatory.



And to close, here's "People of the Sun." 

No comments: