Monday, March 7, 2011

Garden/Game On Part Deux


A little over a year ago I wrote Garden/Game On because I was geeked up about my nascent spinach and lettuce emerging from the ground.

I'm getting a little earlier start this year. This afternoon I planted one row of spinach and one row of Concept lettuce. And then once we get back from Florida for spring break, I'll plant another row of spinach, a row of carrots, a row of shallots, and two more rows of lettuce, one of which is a red Romaine variety.

Why red-leafed Romaine you might ask? Why the hell not I say. You're not likely to find that good stuff in your local megamart.

Later on in the summer, I plan on beans, potatoes, bell peppers, different herbs, and possibly kale.

And speaking of spring break, which will soon be upon me at the end of the week, we're heading down to Florida to visit my in-laws, do the theme parks (or do they really do you?), and assorted what not. But this trip might be different since we're talking about going to a spring training game.

I've never been to a spring training game, so this is new territory.

With the tightness of our itinerary, there are only a couple of days where it's good to watch a game near where my in-laws call home, so it looks like we're going to watch a battle of perennial cellar dwellers: the Baltimore Orioles versus the Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton.

I wonder if I can somehow write off the tickets for tax purposes since I play fantasy baseball. I mean, the Schlitzophrenics ball club is a multi-dollar organization.  At ten bucks a pop for tickets and six of us going to the game, that's a whopping $60 for this cheapskate.

So if that game happens to be on the MLB network that day and the announcers report that some guy is embarrassing his family because he's yelling at Nick Markakis about his crappy power numbers from last season, it could be me.

I could be that guy.

5 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Lettuce and baseball! So much hope and optimism in this post. I'm hard pressed to believe you could be "that guy," Q.

PS: Spouse's fantasy team is called The Bad Motherchuckers. Spouse being named Chuck. Schlitzophrenics is my next favorite team name!

Travolta said...

If it will help with the IRS, I'd be happy to whip up some letterhead and sign a note as commissioner certifying your league expenses and revenue.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks Sandy. My team has gone through many name changes, but I think I've finally settled with the 'phrenics.

One of my favorite team names in my league is "Men Without Bats." A nice 80s music reference.

Travolta, you need to get right on that. To make it legit, I want it signed in crayon.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

It now appears that we may go see a Yankees game instead since they have night games in Tampa on days we could go to a game.

I may see Markakis in action since one option is the Orioles vs. Yankees. The other option is Rays vs. Yankees.

fern said...

"Concept lettuce"??