Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Random Notes from a Crank


I offer these random thoughts not in an attempt to get consolation from readers of the blog. Rather, I just need to air this stuff to get it out of my system.

See, first my daughter got sick, and then it hit my son. And of course I got the virus next.

The picture above is a direct effect of a three-year old getting up at 2am today, coming into my bedroom to ask me whether it's "wake-up time," and then him climbing into bed with me and kicking me in the side at random moments throughout the morning as I'm trying to sleep.

With the ice storm here in central Illinois, schools were cancelled on Tuesday, Wednesday, and the elementary school is still cancelled tomorrow. So tomorrow I'm staying home with the kids as I do work.

So here go some random notes, what you might consider the cranky doppelganger of my "Stay Positive" posts:

I love my kids, but when I have a massive headache with congestion issues, whiny requests don't play well with me. The whining is like strong jabs to my temples.

PBS Children's programming is solid stuff. In comparison to most of the crud the Disney Channel puts out, it's far superior and more educational. The fact that some people have tried to dismantle PBS in the past makes me angry. I should donate some money to the local PBS station, but the radio station associated with the college is downright horrible as I've related previously.

While I have the chills, at least the battery of my Macbook Pro will keep my thighs warm when I'm using it on my couch.

To anyone out there who might know, where are iCarly and Spencer's parents? Did they abandon the kids? Are they dead?

I went out to shovel with the kids this afternoon and quickly realized I can't do much. Instead of snow blanketing it, the driveway has a two-inch thick layer of ice. At least it's textured ice, so the cars can get some grip. I sprinkled around some salt in futility.

It depressing how many television channels I have and how little there is to watch. I know this has perhaps become a cliche, but it bears repeating.

I want to acquire a creature suit like the two guys on Wild Kratts and turn into a bear, so I can hibernate.

I need a man cave with a naugahyde chair in it. Poor Naugas.

I want a sauna in my basement.

Glenn Beck is a fear-mongering moron. In a Lyotardian sense, he presents himself as a "hero of truth" while also cultivating the cult of the "hero of freedom." And you could say the same for many liberal pundits.

It depresses me how some people will believe almost anything that comes in email form ~ you know, viral emails and such. This propensity for believing whatever one reads calls for information literacy on a massive scale, especially because of the Web where any fool can have a website and many do, yours truly included (beat you to it, clowns).

1 comment:

Mrs. Nasty said...

I wish I could be there as well - being sick stuck in a hotel is no fun either. I am sick of looking at this vinyl wallpaper - UGH.... I will be home tomorrow so we can suffer together!!!