Friday, February 18, 2011

Music Friday: "A Boy Named Sue" & "Hey Good Lookin'"

This Music Friday goes out to my parents.

My dad went in for a heart procedure on Tuesday, and there were complications. Thankfully, they got a stent into the lower artery of his heart. That problem coupled with renal issues almost ended his life, but he wound up in the ICU. He's in a regular room now.

My oldest brother has been staying with my mom, who has had heart problems of her own combined with diabetes and being legally blind. Once my dad's turned loose from the hospital, they'll both go to an assisted living facility where they don't have to worry about cooking food and will undoubtedly get much more social interaction.

So the first song for today, "A Boy Named Sue," is for my dad, who likes Johnny Cash. The father-son relationship in the song is much different than my relationship with my father, btw.

And the second song for today is Hank Williams' "Hey Good Lookin,'" which is a song my mom likes to sing when cooking, a song indelibly linked to her in my mind.

We're headed up to Iowa this weekend to help in whatever way we can.

6 comments:

Babe Runner said...

Here's hoping all goes well with both your folks.

BTW, "covess." That was my word verification word. Is this a female cove? I'd like to be the person who gets to come up with these.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks, Babe.

Maybe covess is a different word for witch because of the definition of coven?

Sandy Longhorn said...

Oh, Q., so sorry to hear this. Sending god thoughts your way.

travolta said...

Glad to hear that it turned out OK. I'm sure they'll both enjoy it at the facility once they get used to it.

Whenever I hear A Boy Named Sue, I think of Wardo for some reason. I believe I heard him karaoke it once, maybe that's the connection.

p.s. My captcha was "tollibsi", sounds Italian to me.

Josh said...

I'm hoping things go well for both of your parents. Best of luck.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Thanks for the kind words, good people. I would have responded earlier, but we just got back tonight.

Travolta, I see Wardo as more of "I Walk the Line" type of fellow, but I can also picture him plying his trade to "A Boy Named Sue."

If I had to sing a Cash song, I think I'd go with "Folsom Prison Blues" or "Ballad of Ira Hayes."